Friday, June 11, 2010

It's Thursday night and I have been in SA for 5 1/2 hours now and I have yet to be robbed, raided or raped. In fact quite the opposite. Each interaction has been sublime. Bumped into a work colleague at Dubai airport and then one upon arrival at J'burg. Curious world my international organisation.

The Emirates flight was filled with Brazilians and Mexicans wearing team shirts and huge sombrero hats. When I figure out how to download photos to this site, I aim t share them. The 8-hour flight itself was rather uneventful. Though I did have my suitcase and golf clubs plastic wrapped before departure. They arrived safely in J'burg and we were welcomed by a chilled can of the WC's soft drink sponsor, Coca Cola. WC paraphernalia is on sale everywhere across the airport but I think I'll be able to pick up host shirts and cuff links at a better price later in the tournament.

Registered my MTN mobile SIM card with the minimum of hassle, changed some money -- though the antiquated notes' counting machine used broker down, and collected my tickets with the minimal of fuss. The ticket machine operated had a familiar accent and upon my question he said he was from Formby, not a million miles from where I grew up. Next onto Hertz where my tiny car was awaiting me. My solitary suitcase won't even lie down in the boot, so the golf clubs are on the back seat and the interior light doesn't work. I was given good directions towards Rustenburg and almost made it here without getting lost. The motorways have few lights though and I spotted zero petrol stations in the 140km drive. To consult my Google map at a junction after having left the motorway, I was forced to stop the car, engine running, and skip round to the rear light and read it that way. My heart was thumping...

This was how I turned up at the Cock and Bull pub. Lost. It was the only lighting around. The kindly assistant manager came out and offered words of encouragement. before I knew it I was inside supping beers from Namibia and eating a fine steak with the solitary patrons, a 4-handicap golfer and his lady friend from Slovakia. Thus I was welcomed to SA. After dinner they helped me find my way to m accommodation from where I write. The owner's hubby too works in Afghanistan. Funny old world.

Need to sleep as tomorrow I'm off to Soweto where the England fans take on the local college team.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zulu Blonde.

    We were just wondering if your are a fan that we know as you are posing as our main brand and using our company picture.

    We are very flattered but would like to just touch base.

    Kind regards
    The Zululand Brewery
    South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear The Real Zulu Blonde,

    Thanks for your message. I love real ale and found you on the web while planning my SA WC sojourn. Loved the photo. Hope you don't mind. I'm heading your way soon and looking forward to sampling your wares.

    ZB

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother, you will not be in shortage of troubles of every sort while down south... I almost envy you because of the above issue, as well! Lots to write about, maybe too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still can't believe the above! Oh, I'm so envious - you'll have dozens of adventures to tell Theo at al after the WC! Determination of going to Brasil 2014 for me is even stronger than ever!
    And, keep up with postings - everyday posting was a promise and your failing to keep up :)
    "I am England till I die, I'm England till I die..." :)

    ReplyDelete